Jessie O. Mallory and Deming J. Thayer, a civil engineer and protégé of her father, were married on June 9, 1886, during a grand ceremony at the Ilion. She was 22 at the time and Deming, 33. The most complete account of the marriage was published in The Chariton Democrat, owned at the time by Jessie’s father, on June 10, 1886.
Nearly all of the guests were family members and associates of the Mallory family. No members of Deming’s family were present. Deming and Jessie never established an independent life. They continued to live with Smith H. and Annie Mallory at the Ilion until Deming’s death by suicide 12 years later, during 1898.
Married at Ilion, the home of the bride’s parents in Chariton, on Wednesday evening, June 9, 1886, Miss Jessie Ogden Mallory, only child of Mr. and Mrs. S. H. Mallory, to Mr. Deming J. Thayer, of Neponset, Massachusetts. Rt. Rev. William Stevens Perry, of Davenport, Bishop of the (Episcopal) Diocese of Iowa, performed the ceremony.
At eight o’clock about seventy guests, the majority of whom were relatives of the parties from abroad, had assembled in the parlor to witness the happy event. Of those from a distance were: Mrs. Jane Mallory, Mr. and Mrs. E.S. Smith, and their son Frank and daughters May and Jessie, Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Van Norwick and Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Van Northwick, all of Batavia, Ill.; Mr. Barnum Mallory, of St. Charles, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Harvey and their daughter Louise and son George, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Mallory, Colonel and Mrs. Swain, Mrs. G.G. Cooke, Miss Young, Mr. J.C. Turner, Mr. George Harvey, all of Chicago; Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Morehouse, Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Merrill and Miss Fessenden, of Burlington; Miss Florence Perry, of Albia; Rev. and Mrs. Wolcott and Miss McCormick, of Davenport; Clement Chase, Omaha; David Baum, Lincoln, Neb.; Miss Tuell, Lewistown, Ill.; Mrs. George C. Brownell, Frankfort, Kansas; Mr. and Mrs. Allen Mallory and their daughters Josie and Ruth, Creston; and Mr. and Mrs. A.D. Mallory, Lucas.
At half past eight the bride and groom, preceded by the bride’s parents, entered the parlor and took their positions beneath the canopy of beautiful foliage and flowers, from the center of which hung an immense bell of white roses. The bride was elegantly attired in rich cream satin en train, and the groom in full evening dress. Bishop Perry immediately proceeded with the beautiful and impressive marriage service of the Episcopal church, and the happy couple received the congratulations and earnest well-wishes of their friends, after which all partook of the wedding feast.
The house and grounds were tastefully decorated and illuminated, the weather was as delightful as could be asked, and all went merrily and happily.
The special Pullman cocah which brought the Illinois visitors yesterday noon, started homeward with them at midnight.
The bride and groom left on the night train for Southern Kansas where Mr. Thayer will immediately resume his duties as Chief Engineer of the E.M. & A.R.R. now building. Through pressed with the many duties of his busy position, he has learned that other duty: “Seek a good wife of thy God, for she is the best gift of his providence.”